So I’ve been planning to do this for way too long, and I’m just now getting to the experience level to actually be able to do something with this.
I had this in my attic for years, and a couple years ago, (in my naive interest in robotics) I opened it up and tore out the circuit board, hoping to put my own in and do… something? with it. Little did I know, at the time, that that original board would’ve made it a bit easier to deal with.
My first year of college, after getting my first Arduino (which I very much wish I had heard of before then), I finally hooked it up using the original motors, this motor driver shield with the added half-amp of the SN754410 motor driver, and a big old Pro Max Ni-Cd battery from my nitro RC car’s starter. However, it still wasn’t powerful enough to make the thing turn on its axis.
This sample sketch was supposed to make it move forward, backward, and spin around. As you can see, it never quite accomplishes that.
More recently I’ve completely removed the “shield” and added two nice big L298N motor drivers giving it roughly 3A per motor (one motor on each side). Somehow it seems even this is still doesn’t give it the ideal power I’m looking for, but it’ll do until I figure something out.
As you can see in the picture, I have added IR sensors to the front and back. Not sure yet how I’m going to detect a wall to its side though… The wheels are way too big for it to sense anything diagonally.
I wish I had taken more pictures of the disassembly, but I hadn’t thought of it at the time, I’ll have much more in the current updates! Including schematics and my code.